Sunday 20 April 2014

Beyond Layers - Day 1

In 2012 Kim ran a year long workshop called "Beyond Layers".  This is now a self paced course and free to those who subscribe to Kim's Test Kitchen, but I bought it along with "Beyond Beyond" which was another year long course from 2013/14.

On Day 1 of "Beyond Layers" Kim encouraged us to write our creative story, and had even anticipated we would say we don't have a creative story!  Well I'm one of those who doesn't think I have a creative story, or not much of one, but here goes......

As a kid I played with Lego, using my imagination to create and build - it was very basic when I was a kid.

At about aged 7, I was trying to make dolls clothes out of scraps of fabric and a kind lady (the landlady of the flats where we lived) showed me some basic stitches and how to cut and fit the outfits.  Also at this age I started to take an interest in cooking - I usually say I learnt to cook in self defence.  My Dad did most of the cooking and it was plain and dull, but heaps better than anything my Mum put on the table.  (I'm an only child.)

My Dad bought me my first sewing machine when I was 11 and I started to make my own clothes.  At about the same time my Gran and an Aunt taught me to knit, and Dad taught me about gardening and home DIY.  I didn't really learn very much from my Mum as she had no hobbies and was always too busy to spend any time with me - unlike me, she loved ironing, hoovering and dusting!

And so, any creativity I had was expressed in cooking, sewing and gardening.  In 1997 I joined the local flower club and for many years I enjoyed flower arranging.  Then in 2009 I discovered photography.  At the end of 2011 I found my way to Flickr and was completely bowled over by some of the images, and that lead me to Kim and her wonderful style of photography.

So my creative story is brief and whilst I like to create, I don't consider myself to be a natural creative.

No comments:

Post a Comment